A Brand Makeover: Packaging Test
Know what works before you change it!
A client wanted to redesign their packaging system across their entire product line – logo, branding, colors, imaging, product description, etc.
- Don’t alienate current users
- Bring new natural product users to brand.
- Make sure the new packaging system articulates their key brand pillars.
Three packaging themes were created and tested against current packaging.
- Given the variety of products under the brand’s umbrella, defining the sample targets required a thoughtful approach. The target needed to be broad enough to find the packaging relevant as well as specific so that the product line resonated with them.
- Obtain comparisons between the different packaging on various parameters such as intention to buy, likeability, color scheme etc.
- Identify the appeal of various elements such as the images, the colors, the logo, the call out etc.
- Determine how each packaging design performs on key brand promises identified in brand positioning.
- Winning package design: Two of the new packages were very close. One of the “top two” designs articulated the key brand pillars more clearly than the other. This was the tie breaker.
- While a clear winner was identified, the diagnostics revealed that there were elements within the current package design which were critical to success and needed to be included in the new design.
- A new packaging system was identified which supports all key brand pillars.
- The brand incorporated the critical messaging elements from the current packaging system into the new design.
- Products sporting the new packaging design landed on shelves in 2017.