An In-Home Usage Test (IHUT) is exactly what it sounds like: a participant takes a product or prototype to their home to sample for a fixed period of time. Sometimes, a pre-interview is conducted to benchmark expectations and category engagement. At the end of the usage period, the participant will be interviewed again.
- Recruitment for IHUTs can occur via an online survey, through a Mall Intercept, or telephone.
- Pre-interviews & post-interviews can be conducted with any one, or a combination, of methodologies.
- This is a great approach for beauty products, food items and electronics. (IF it’s a Ferrari you need tested, contact our CEO. He’ll be happy to handle it personally.)
Weakness & limitations
- We don’t have control over how the participant uses the product.
- We are at the mercy of the participant’s willingness & ability to comply with the IHUT instructions.